Thursday, March 6, 2008

Beth's World

I have known Beth forever. I used to babysit her, was her Sunday school teacher and now she's in the youth group I lead. It's been fun to watch her grow up, and on Monday she let me into her room - which is completely different from the last time I saw it, it's no longer a little girls room, but a teenagers room.

When I rang the bell, Danny, Beth's brother, opened the door and her dad told me that she was in her room. So I went down the hall, knocked on the door and she said to come in. The walls are bright blue, and it smelled like coconut. There were clothes on the floor and draped from a chair, make-up everywhere, and Beth was laying on her bed, listening to music and reading a book.

I won't take you on the entire tour now, I'll save it for the paper. But it was cool to see how her room was transformed from pink walls with stuffed animals everywhere to what it is now.

The funniest part about the afternoon was that the first thing she pointed out in the tour were the crutches in her closet. I asked why (although I already knew the answer) and she said...well, they're pretty much a part of my everyday life. (Beth has broken more bones in her 15 years than most people in a lifetime...she really has spent most of her life in a cast.)

No comments: